This recipe combines three of my favorite thing in one fabulous side dish: Potato salad and deviled ham and eggs. For easy of preparation you can use prepared deviled ham but if you have the time to make your own deviled ham for the dish you will see how simple it is to prepare.
Devilishly Delicious Deviled Potato Salad
- 1 pound Idaho Cal Red potatoes, rinsed
- 1 pound Yukon Gold Idaho potatoes, rinsed
- 3/4 pound hickory smoked ham steak, bones and excess fat removed
- 2 tablespoons sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 9 large eggs, hard boiled, cooled and peeled
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped, plus six 1/2" pieces for garnish if desired
Cook Idaho Potatoes
Cut Idaho potatoes one inch cubes, leaving the peels on, and place in large pot of cold salted water. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 11-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Prepared Deviled Ham*
*As an alternative to making your own, you may substitute 3-4.25 cans of prepared deviled ham: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, or with a knife, finely process/chop ham and onions. Place onion and ham mixture into a medium bowl Add mayonnaise, mustard, relish, hot pepper sauce and cayenne and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Make Eggs & Potato Salad Dressing
Place 6 eggs in a large bowl. Cut remaining 3 eggs in half, lengthwise, and place yolks in the bowl with the whole eggs, reserving the cut egg whites. Mash whole eggs and yolks with a fork or potato masher until well chopped. Add mayonnaise, celery, black pepper, salt, minced onion, relish, Dijon mustard and two tablespoons chopped chives and stir to combine. Add cooled potatoes to egg mixture and re-season with salt and pepper to taste
Serve and Enjoy!
When ready to serve, fill reserved egg whites with about 1 1/2 tablespoons deviled ham mixture and set aside. In six small bowls, divide remaining deviled ham mixture and top the deviled ham with the Idaho potato salad. Garnish bowls with 1/2 teaspoon chopped chives and place one 1/2" chive piece on each filled egg. Alternatively, potato salad may be served "family style" in a large bowl with deviled ham on the bottom of the bowl, topped with the potato salad and then the six filled eggs. Enjoy!