A different take on a cold wrap sandwich, this pressed heated wrap has grilled eggplant, a salsa with a Mediterranean flair, feta cheese and a sweet pepper dipping sauce.
Grecian Veggie Pressed Wraps with Sweet Pepper Dipping Sauce
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 4 large jarred sweet cherry peppers, seeds and veins removed, finely chopped, plus 2 teaspoons liquid from jar
- 2 sweet banana peppers, seeds and veins removed, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped pimento stuffed green olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, plus 2 teaspoons oil from jar
- 3 tablespoons chopped jarred fire-roasted red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon capers, minced
- 3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 1/4-inch slices eggplant (from a small, firm eggplant)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 9-inch flour tomato wraps
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, divided
In a medium bowl, mix together the yogurt, sweet cherry peppers, sweet cherry pepper liquid, banana peppers, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper; set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together both olives, shallot, sun-dried tomatoes, sun-dried tomato oil, red bell pepper and capers; set aside.
On a large flat griddle or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat; season eggplant with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and the garlic powder. Place eggplant onto griddle and cook until softened, approximately 2 - 3 minutes per side (when flipping eggplant, you may need to add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the griddle). Remove eggplant, reserve griddle for later use.
Lay a tomato wrap onto work surface. Place 3 slices of eggplant onto the center of wrap, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border on the sides and a 2 1/2-inch border on the top and bottom. Top eggplant evenly with half of the reserved olive mixture, then top with 2 tablespoons of feta cheese and 4 fresh basil leaves. Tightly fold both the side borders over the filling, then fold the bottom border over the filling, then fold the top border over the filling, so that the filling is totally enclosed in the wrap; turn seam side down. Prepare second wrap in the same manner.
Using the reserved griddle, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the wraps, seam side down, and cook until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes. Flip wraps over and cook second side in the same manner. While the wrap is cooking, lightly press down on it with a spatula to slightly press the wrap.
Cut wrap in half and serve with Sweet Pepper Dipping Sauce on the side and enjoy.